06/16/2026
The Episcopal Church in West Point began in 1870 when the Rev. Henry Harris conducted monthly services for a group in the Union Church building on Court Street. At that time, there were seven members on the church roll. Florence Peugh organized a Sunday School with classes conducted weekly in her room at the Henley House.
On October 14, 1872, a small group of Episcopalians in West Point organized a mission called St. Joseph’s Episcopal Church. The members raised $500.00 to purchase a lot and eventually to erect a building. By 1873, the number of communicants had increased to sixty with services twice monthly. But no church was built at that time, and membership dropped somewhat until the arrival of the Rev. W. P. Browne in 1886. He held monthly services in the Court House and, at this time, St. Joseph’s was renamed Church of the Incarnation. The Rev. Browne was very dedicated to his duties in the mission field, and with only one assistant, he erected the church building. Benches were constructed of plain boards, and the Altar was a kitchen table covered in green felt. The warmth, spiritual love, and devotion to each other that was contained in that little frame structure has continued throughout more than one hundred and thirty years of the church’s existence.
In the early 1900’s, Church of the Incarnation made plans to erect a more modern building. The little board-and-batten church Rev. Browne had built was moved to an adjacent lot, and the new brick foundation rose about sixteen feet. Shortly thereafter, the church suffered a setback when the priest who had encouraged the new building was called away. World War I began, and membership and finances again declined. A local lawyer and member of First Methodist Church served as a lay reader, and the Eucharist was celebrated by a visiting priest once a month.
Members struggled faithfully to keep the church together until the early thirties. In the midst of the Depression, a young member who was a recent graduate in architecture proposed using the bricks in the abandoned foundation to veneer the little frame building of Rev. Browne. This project was the “boost” that Incarnation needed. Over the next two decades, a parish hall was added, and a rectory was built. For the first time in many years, Incarnation had a resident priest and continued to prosper.
Adapted from “A History and Background of the Episcopal Church of the Incarnation” by Rufus Ward.