The area was on the farm Elandsfontein. It is said that August
Simmer and John Jack came to the area to prospect for gold and John Jack
named the place Germiston, after his birth place Germiston near Glasgow,
United Kingdom. Due to the nature of its location, Germiston became the
centre of Pretoria-Johannesburg-Vereeniging tri-axis and became very
important part of the railway network. The Sou
th African Railways soon became one of the largest employers of
Indentured Indians after their contracts expired or terminated. They were
employed (mostly on a casual basis) to set down the railway tracks and
many of them settled down in towns near the railways. After 1910 many
of the Indians that had settled in these towns began to work for the gold
mines of the Witwatersrand. Many settled at the India Railway Junction,
which was near the Germiston Hospital. As the numbers increased the Germiston municipality forcibly removed
them to the “Old Location”. The municipality again, in 1912, moved the
Indians to the “Asiatic Bazaar”. The living conditions were deplorable and
the municipality gave no land security. Many people were forced to live in
tin and wood shacks. As is the nature of our religion and culture the people did not forget their
Indian roots and continued to practice their rituals and language. The
Marieamman Temple was built in early 1900s. It was a basic structure that
served the needs of the community. The Germiston Tamil Society then acquired land to build a temple and
school. In 1926 the Shree Siva Subramaniar Alayam and the Siva
Subramaniar School Hall was completed. In the 1940’s the Germiston Tamil Society was re-named the Germiston
Tamil Vedic Society (GTVS). The Swami Ayyapen murthi was donated to
the temple in 1954. In the early 1980s the apartheid government moved the Indians again to
Palm Ridge. In 1997 the Siva Subramaniar Alayam was inaugurated in Palm Ridge, a
township that was created for the Indian South Africans, when they were
forcibly removed from the Asiatic Bazaar.